Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Fantastic Fresno

>Five or six days ago I would have thought that there was no way to top the totally outstanding performances at Phoenix, Vegas and San Diego. But Keith just keeps getting better – I don’t know how it is possible – but I think tonight’s show in Fresno was the best yet. What a guy!!

He was simply the consummate showman tonight. His guitar work was stunning, his vocals superb, and he was everywhere, in total connection with his audience. He made multiple trips to each side stage, spent extra time on the catwalk, and interacted with so many fans that I could not keep track (that is what really set tonight’s performance ahead of the others). He read multiple signs and acknowledged many others. He didn’t bring anyone up on stage – instead he went to them. First down the catwalk in response to a sign saying “I left a stupid boy back in TX to see you.” Keith initially goofed and started talking to the wrong woman, then realized his mistake when she was clueless about what part of TX she was from, so he made fun of himself and found the right gal. Then some gals that won free tickets from CMT had their sign read and Keith talked to them and thanked CMT for sending them. There were other sign interactions while he was actually singing but I couldn’t see what he was laughing at or pointing too.

But he was also sensitive to overdoing signs and made a halfway serious joke telling one woman that the people behind you love your sign (not).He laid on the catwalk and later on stage right to take pictures with fans or to sign autographs. He slapped lots of hands and may have given someone a hug or kiss by the small stage (I couldn’t see the exact interaction). He played multiple guitar solos crouching/kneeling in different spots in front of fans. He made several jokes during the evening – after the 3rd song he said those in the rear of the arena (so far away) were just now hearing the first song. And throughout so many numbers he kept nodding, pointing, laughing, making eye contact – he was so totally WITH the audience, it was very special.

And he looked SO SO good tonight. His hair was shiny and fluffy and somewhat blonder I think, and showed lots of movement and flippage until the very end of the show when sweat finally took its toll. He wore a dark tee with a design I was not familiar with – the Soviet hammer and sickle within what looked like the shape of a spade or a leaf, with the number 56 off to the side. And wonderful dark jeans that fit so well and which had, I thought, a particularly provocative (cough) front – it was hard not to stare. I better not say more about that (lol).

I am so enjoying the extra musical bits that they have added to quite a few songs. There is a great, happy, melodic guitar duet (or maybe even 3 of them play?) interlude in Better Half. And Keith does what sounds like beautiful improvising (but probably isn’t all on the spot) on the guitar before MMOU and on the piano before TIWC.

The lighting effects and background videos seemed back on track tonight – I even noticed new effects (either new because I was busy looking elsewhere previously, or perhaps really new). The audience is bathed in moving dappled spots of light as Keith is singing ROS. And at a couple points in the show there are lightening like lighting effects during guitar solos. I didn’t see any extra video cams (of course there are always the video cams that provide the screen shots. I am SO hoping a concert video is in the works, not just because the show is fantastic, but because their camerapersons have just been getting some beautiful, exquisite shots from all angles and all degrees of distance. It will be a gorgeous concert video I think.

Anticipating Keith’s chill giving opening again, I tried to count the heartbeats from the very first one (during the djs last several tracks) to Keith’s actual appearance. The first 20 or so are widely spaced and could be missed and by about 65 heartbeats arena goes dark and the heartbeats merge with the heartbeats of OIAL. Interestingly, tonight I was sitting so close to the speakers I could feel not just hear some of those heartbeats and I also discovered that there is an underlying heartbeat rhythm in Shine that I had never noticed until I could actually feel it.

I was very lucky again tonight. A sweet Canadian monkey sold me her 6th row ticket when she could not go. I was near the aisle end of the row rather than the catwalk, but that allowed me to dash out to stage left each time that Keith came over to play to the audience in the side risers. I would have been close enough to touch him there if it weren’t for a big hunking security guard! But then the last 6 seats of row 5 never filled (what a crime!!) so I actually moved up to row 5 for the show. (4 more rows yet to achieve!).

Keith was also playful with the band again, goofing off during their introductions and while performing. If I caught it correctly I believe he introduced Brian Nutter as the “Figaro, Figaro” singer. And Keith did this little rhythmical, jazzy intro to Chris. M., vocally playing with the words “on the drums” “in the groove” and “on the groove”.

He as usual thanked the audience for all their support in past months, thanked country radio as well, then ended with “I so love to play music, I am gonna do that instead” (of drinking).

I forgot to mention that the SaveMart Arena has a big electronic billboard out in front and they not only had the LPAWCT head shot of Keith up there, but also ran short video clips of he and the guys in concert! Also last night Keith had the piano all the way up to the very edge of the stage by the catwalk instead of set back by the band as he usually does - gave a really good view to us front floor people.

I wish Linda’s Love, Pain and Whole Crazy West Coast KURT were not over. I am not the least bit ‘tired of this’ and wish San Jose and LA were on my itinerary. But they are not, so it is time to head home to Iowa and let someone else take over as roving reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment