Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sensational St. Paul




Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul is a huge arena and it seemed to be filled to the brim with Keith and Gary fans last night. Even the third tier nosebleed seats were full! I had already missed the ticket pre-sale when I decided the Twin Cities concert was a great opportunity to bring my best friend, an Urban Virgin, to the show since she has a daughter in town whom she likes to visit. So I bought a pair of floor tickets on Ebay and hoped for the best. With every arena numbering their sections, rows and seats differently you just never know where you’ll be until you actually get to your seats. Section C was supposed to be mid-floor and we had seats 13-14 in the 17th row, so who knew where they would be. Well God smiled on us and gave my friend a first Urban experience she will never forget. The Xcel Center had a short section A, so C was closer than I expected and – hallelujah – seats 13-14 were right on the catwalk!!! We were so tickled, although Joan did not yet really realize just what that meant.

After gushing over that pleasant surprise I noticed something else. There was no person-sized gap between the catwalk railing and the catwalk on the side we were sitting. When we arrived the railing was about 8 inches from the walk but as soon as people started leaning on it it moved even closer. We, like the women I had observed with envy in Champaign, could rest our elbows on the catwalk and, with my arm extended, I could reach almost (but not quite) to the middle of the walk!!! This was going to be extra interesting! I decided later that they are obviously doing this on purpose. Keith and the guys slapping more hands this tour has been a big hit, and now moving the fans closer to the catwalk allows even more fans to possibly get the thrill of a touch and also makes for some great camera shots of fans close to Keith during his kneeling guitar solos.

I noticed that there was an orange piece of tape on the catwalk next to me and I hoped it meant something special. And it did – from the very start. Once Gary ventured off the main stage, he came down the catwalk right to that orange tape for part of Nothing On But The Radio. Emboldened by the actions of all the neighboring ladies on the catwalk, I followed their lead and first felt the black suede of his boots. And a bit later the orange tape marked the spot where he set his stool to sing Life Ain’t Always Beautiful (but my view was!) and those of us nearby gently tugged his pants leg when he was done, trying to get his attention for one of the hand grasps he gave a select few. Never got a hand, but I’ve pulled on Gary Allen’s pants – lol!

I caught a hand slap from Brian (tonight in a purple dress shirt with his vest and tie) after their catwalk trip at the end of Faster Car, and Brad Rice actually handed me (rather than tossing) his guitar pick, so I was getting “touches” right and left, but you know who I was waiting for!

My prayers were answered when the orange tape also turned out to mark the spot for the ROS microphone!! I watched (with rapid heartbeat) Keith’s slow approach as he strummed that long introduction to ROS and came to stand right in front of me, inches away. He smiled as extended arms all along the catwalk stretched out hoping for a touch. I didn’t even have to stretch – that suede boot was smack dab in front of me, so I gave it a rub, remembering how he teased us by pulling off those boots one at a time in that Moline KU-Tube videotape. It was early in the evening and he was singing so sweetly, I was still a bit timid and stood there, enraptured, for the rest of the song, just swiping at the edge of his jeans as he turned to retreat down the walk. But all evening he sauntered first close to one edge of the walk, then across to the other side – by no means staying in the center where he would be most out of reach. I took that as a bit of an invitation! He returned to the orange tape multiple times and by the end of the evening I had twice felt that muscular right calf and was so tempted to reach higher…. .. Joan was snapping pictures all the while – maybe she caught one of my Keith “contacts”. (And here is one of Linda feeling up Keith….)

I noticed during all the shows this weekend the songs were peppered with extra “Sweet babies”, “Pretty babies” and even a “Sweet baby girl”or two. Maybe he is pining for his sweet baby. Also a few lyric changes here and there although at the moment I am blanking on the one or two I told myself to remember for you all. The audience in St. Paul was very animated but didn’t sound quite as good as the Chicago crowd J. There was a bit of excitement mid show when some guy worked his way down the row in front of us (uninvited) and boosted his butt up onto the catwalk. Since he was right in front of me I told him he was blocking my view and couldn’t sit there – no sooner were the words out of my mouth and security hauled him away !! No butts allowed on the catwalk!

The music, as always, was just wonderful, the guitar work astounding! Keith was in fine voice and even sang us a few extra songs (“You’re not ready to go home yet, are you?” And the audience gave a resounding NOO!!!) So, during the encore, they did a long rendition of The Joker, with Gary coming back out to sing a couple verses. (Both Brad Rice and Brian are really getting into their shots at soloing at the mike!) Keith followed that with Billy Joel’s You May Be Right. Midway in the show we were also treated to an extended guitar intro and then rocking chorus of Saturday, Saturday. And following Everybody each night this weekend Keith sang a brief bit of Glen Campbell’s Everybody’s Talking At Me during the video shots of that magnificent tree (any particular significance to that song selection, do you think?)

Keith once again stayed around after the rest of the band left the stage, slapping hundreds of hands. He even jumped off the small stage (into the fenced in area surrounding the stage) to get to more fans that were still standing around that enclosure. And I got a hand grasp on his final return down the catwalk (so at least one touch of the evening was “voluntary” rather than me just copping a feel – lol! And during that brief grasp I got out a “Thank you Keith for a fantastic night!” My newly initiated urbanite friend agreed that it was the best concert she had ever seen. Having begun with catwalk seats though will she ever be able to sit elsewhere? That’s two Iowa Urban virgins that I have induced to travel a couple hundred miles each to their first KU concert this weekend – one to Chicago and one to St. Paul. Have I earned my KU Girl Scout badge yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment