Saturday, October 31, 2009


October has been a "Broadway shows" month for me. This week the national tour of Mamma Mia came to the wonderful Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center at my university for a weekend of sell-out shows. 
A group of about forty of us got tickets for last night - a perfect way to celebrate "Thnak God It's Friday"! I played Abba songs before all of my classes this week, trying to get some of my students to expand their cultural horizons and try out a terrific Broadway musical without going to NY, NY.

This was actually my third time seeing Mamma Mia live, but obviously I don't mind repeating experiences that I enjoy (LOL)! There is something special about going to a musical where the songs are all familiar and already part of one's personal history.  (I am anxious to see Jersey Boys sometime for this reason.) The cast was just bursting with energy and my only regret was that their Iowa audience, though enjoying themselves, was too reserved to join in - even during the encore set of songs performed by the entire company. I wanted to sing and dance along - really get into the musical experience - but when I let loose with some of the moves during Dancing Queen I couldn't get any of my row to join in.

Although the style of Abba's music may be dated, many of lyrics are timeless as is the feel-good enthusiasm of so many of the songs. Some of my favorites in the show:  

If you change your mind, I'm the first in line

Honey I'm still free, Take a chance on me

If you need me, let me know, gonna be around

If you've got no place to go, if you're feeling down

If you're all alone when the pretty birds have flown

Honey I'm still free, Take a chance on me

Gonna do my very best and it ain't no lie

If you put me to the test, if you let me try

Take a chance on me

Take a chance on me


Are you singing along like me?

Love me or leave me, make your choice but believe me

I love you

I do, I do, I do, I do, I do

I can't conceal it, don't you see, can't you feel it?

Don't you too? 

I do, I do, I do, I do, I do


And then the song that both opened and closed the Mamma Mia storyline:

I have a dream, a song to sing, to help me cope with anything

If you see the wonder of the fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail
I believe in angels, something good in everything I see
I believe in angels, when I know the time is right for me
I'll cross the stream, I have a dream

Perhaps not as well known among Abba's songs but the sentiment spoke to me and sounded like something Keith might sing. Speaking of Keith, it has been a month since my last show and I am already jonesin' for a concert. So jealous of those Franklin, TN folks who were treated to an acoustic set!!

Mamma mia, here I go again
My my, how can I resist you
Mamma mia, does it show again
My my, just how much I've missed you

Yes, I've been brokenhearted
Blue since the day we parted
Why, why did I ever let you go
Mamma mia, now I really know
My my, I could never let you go






No comments:

Post a Comment