Monday, March 15, 2010

Urban Journey #1 for 2010: The Houston Rodeo


It has been 118 days since I last saw Keith perform live at Joe’s Bar in Chicago. That may not sound like a long time to most people but it has seemed like an eternity to me! Although the hour long shows and far away stage at the Houston Rodeo don’t make it an ideal venue, desperate Keith addicts jonesin’ for a fix are traveling from far and wide to this first official stop on Mr. Urban’s 2010 ‘festival tour’. Since the date coincided nicely again with my spring break, I decided to make my second annual pilgrimage to Texas (too bad there is no special Dallas House-of- Blues appearance this year).


When the Houston tickets first went on sale - no presale this year so I knew I was up against the general public - I was over-anxious and ended up buying 3 different tickets when I only needed one. Me and my bad Ticketmaster habits! But I was able to re-sell my extras - one to a New Jersey gal (as I mentioned we travel from all over to see KU) and the other to a Houstonite (funny that he had to buy a ticket from me in Iowa!).


I’m arriving a day early to be safe and will see Lady Antebellum tonight. I had a bit of concern that I might not make it to their show when my airline called at 9:00 pm last night and said my flight had been canceled. At first they suggested I drive to Cedar Rapids at 4 am to take a crack of dawn alternative flight. I was not thrilled with that prospect and asked if they would pay for a Cedar Rapids hotel that evening so I wouldn’t be on the road at 4:00. They called back and instead put me in a first-class seat at 11 am - alright!!! Cocktails and wine and a very good Turkey Caprese sandwich with fresh basil pesto mayo on ciabatta bread - guess I’ll forgive them for canceling my original flight : )


I am bubbling with curiosity about Keith’s performance. Who will he have with him? Will there be replacements for both C-Rod and Brad? Or might this have been a show that was handy or perhaps arranged before contract negotiations? What songs will Keith choose for the limited time the Rodeo allows him? Will he still include “Shirt” and make a jaunt around the arena? Will Nic and Sunday be there to take in the Livestock Show and carnival rides? 

_________


Well, it is now 12 hours later and I am back from my first night at the Rodeo. It is quite a zoo here in the stadium area. Got caught in some terrible traffic coming in from the airport. My hotel is within eyesight of the Reliant Stadium but I had to have my shuttle driver drop me at the restaurant on the corner because the streets were so congested!

They said a little over 64,000 were in attendance at tonight’s show and I think all of them are driving down the road in front of my hotel! Good thing I was hoofing it - it was a lovely evening for walking -  still close to 65 -70 degrees.


To me it seemed the Reliant stage had been improved or enlarged to include short catwalks on all 4 sides, and that the video screens looked very high definition. Sadly the sound is still “stadium sound” - not the best for us or the performers, who can’t hear much from the audience. Lady Antebellum put on a good show. They all looked good and happy. Hillary was in skin tight black jeans and an interesting black strapless top. Charles is definitely a cutie. As performers they are at a bit of a disadvantage being so new - only their hits elicit much response from an already pretty laid back rodeo crowd. I hope it won’t be an audience of quiet ‘sitters’ tomorrow!!! I am ready to sing and dance and whoop it up so Keith knows we’re there!


No comments:

Post a Comment