Friday, July 30, 2010

Que Paso in Paso Robles





The Paso Robles concert lured me in because it was in a part of California I had never been to. I was able to get a free flight to Los Angeles using frequent flyer miles. Since I was traveling so far I figured I should stay a few days and explore the coast as I drove to and from the California Mid-State Fair.

L.A. was surprisingly cool (sixties) and overcast. Driving out of the city was stressful - heavy traffic and much narrower highway lanes than in the Midwest. I stopped In Ventura for a nice harbor-side lunch at a casual seafood place (Andria’s) I had read about in a magazine. The driving north from Ventura was much more relaxed and much more scenic - blue Pacific waters, long sandy beaches, and flowers along the highway that you don’t see in Iowa. I stopped at Pismo Beach before heading to San Luis Obispo for the night. Although all the winerie and vineyard tours were tempting, I was traveling alone so had to keep my driving wits about me. Maybe next time.....

The weather continued to be cool and sunny which was perfectly fine with me (but all the Californians were bundled up!). In the morning I explored Morro Bay where the harbor seals were making quite a racket and went to the town of Cayucos for fish tacos that had been highly recommended. Then along winding mountain roads (seemed like there was a curve every 500-1000 feet!) past avocado groves to Atascadero and on the Paso Robles. Thank heavens for my portable GPS! I had a few hours before showtime but my body was complaining about the jump in time zones, so I took a little nap to be well rested for our man.

I walked over to the fair with time to sample a few local wines and French crepes, then heard them announce that the arena gates were now open. It was still an hour until Kris Allen would come on, so I hung around outside the grandstands people watching.

And I am SO glad I did. I was standing maybe 10 feet from the grandstand box office when I heard a familiar voice and that wonderful chuckle. I homed in on the sound and realized that it was coming from the white tent immediately behind the box office. I had stumbled upon the location of the Backstage BBQ! No way for me to enter : ( but there was only a bit of fabric between me and Keith singing the Raining on Sunday that I have been missing. I couldn’t make out the questions that followed the song, but I was happy to have caught a little of the event.

Once inside I met “lilmonkey” to whom I had sold my extra ticket and Renee was nice enough to pop by and say hi when she caught sight of me. I’m afraid that there were many empty seats for Kris Allen’s set. He’s trying hard to get the fans participating, he’s cute and sounded pretty good. Here is a bit of one of his songs. But none of his songs really grabbed me - I was just biding time until it was Keith’s turn. Kris chose to close his set with the Beatles’ Come Together

Even Paso Robles was cool and actually chilly once the sun set (I was counting on Keith to keep me warm - and he did!). When I made a port-a-potty run during the break I noticed pens full of cattle at the end of the side risers and wondered what they would think of Keith’s music! Although they were pumping out that patchouli scent from the stage like they often do at the indoor shows, but it couldn’t quite mask the barnyard smells.

Who Wouldn’t Wanna Be Me was the opener in Paso! I was surprised (I don’t recall that opening a show before) but later on realized why they probably moved it up to the top of the set list. Keith’s hair is looking long and he was flipping it from the very start (see first clip at the bottom). I swear he seemed to have a devilish glint in his eyes last night, flinging that guitar with abandon and doing a bit of a back bend in the very first song (second clip). In honor of his company on tour he changed the lyrics to “She’s singing a Kris Allen song to me.”

Then Days Go By with great singing from the audience. Stupid Boy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A23qwSQ2C1M was fantastic as usual. Keith paused to greet the audience and said that they hadn’t played Paso in 4-5 years and that they were going to make up for it tonight : ) At the end of Sweet Thing Keith moseyed over to my side and did a terrific rocking guitar extension of the song. My oh my he looks great and his fingers are just flying now that guitar neck.

Before Til Summer Comes Around Keith reminded the audience that it had gotten a little wet in Nashville earlier in the year and said that he had “lost just about everything I owned, musically.” He went on to say that the black and white guitar that he was about to play had “ended up in the river along with everything else, but its been resurrected and was here for your listening pleasure. It just took a little swim.... had a little baptism, and has come back firing, as a good Phoenix will do.” (see clip below)

When later he introduced Brian Nutter Keith played with the list of instruments that Brian was skilled at, adding “electric banjoey type thing, bongos, bagpipes, recorder.... He plays a mean recorder!” Brian was back to “Open Arms” as his solo selection. BTW Chris M. has gotten a short, boyish haircut - he looked cute!

About the time that Who Wouldn’t Wanna Be Me would usually be played Keith announced that they were going to do something special tonight. He brought out Kris Allen and he, Kris and Brian did an amazing rendition of Boys of Summer. I really love the guitar work during that song and had one outstanding view!! Keith inserted a special mention of “hanging out in Paso Robles” mid-song. As I watched him wag his delightful bum it was almost as if he were wagging his finger instead ("I know where your attention is focused - shame on you! LOL). Does he know how he tortures us? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFjb90MCnAg

Tonight it was Only You Can Love Me that was dedicated to Nic rather than Making Memories. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GeMlGqj7uQ Not surprisingly, I guess, considering the proximity to L.A., another fan club member reported that she saw Nicole with Keith outside the tour bus. I hope she is continuing on to Oregon and then Camrose with him.

I was close enough to really be amazed by Keith’s rapid-fire guitar fingering in the guitar play that preceded You Look Good in My Shirt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thUFkXPHQgY

- just incredible! I couldn’t see where he ended up when he walked out into the audience, but he was like the Pied Piper leading throngs of fans. Unfortunately some followed him back towards stage as well and they invaded the rows in front of where I and lilmonkey were seated - totally drunken women with no concern for those around them whom security could not control. They stood on the chairs in front of our row, blocking our view, teetering wildly. One poured a full icy cold margarita down my chest but was too drunk to even realize it - she continued to wave her empty glass to the music. I totally missed You’ll Think of Me because of their offensive antics and was wishing I had something cold to throw on them. Then they passed a joint between them (as if they needed another intoxicant). Wonder if they allow tasers in concert venues?

Another bit of improvisation during one of Keith’s “echo rounds” with the audience during Better Half. After several several different musical variations on oo-nah-nah-nah-nahs he went on to “Ooo it feel so good out underneath the stars” and “Feeling lotsa love out underneath the stars” Keith added “Mixed in with some sweet cattle aroma.” (Gosh, even his gestures are beautiful). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ookyIHd6-ek

The encore included Tonight I Wanna Cry and Somebody Like You with one fun switch-up. Instead of “You’re teaching me to be a better man” it was “You’re teaching me to be a 4 piece band.”

There was quite a crowd of avid fans hanging around up front even after the boys had left the stage. They pleaded with the stagehands to hand over the setlists taped to the stage floor (and one or two actually got those) and then even resorted to requesting pieces of the duct tape that taped the edges of the rungs under the microphones down,

“because Keith had walked on them” LOL. I will dive for a guitar pick and perhaps shove for a wristband, but duct tape????

The fair was still going strong as we left the concert, so one had their pick of all the fair foods to celebrate a great show. I opted for some authentic carne asada tacos since it would be a while before the the Urban excitement wore off enough for me to consider sleep!


No comments:

Post a Comment