Saturday, September 18, 2010

Keith Urban's Summer Lovin' Tour Bids Farewell in Wallingford






"Another long summer's come and gone

I don't know why it always ends this way"


I had kept an eye out at the Essex Junction show for my online buddies who were attending as well, but never caught sight of them. But when I went down for breakfast at the hotel the next morning, there they were!! I was so glad to catch up with Corni, Edna, Leslie and Cindy! We were a

ll heading to the Wallingford show next (although they got an earlier start than I did) so we made plans to meet up for dinner beforehand. 


Traveling south from Burlington to Connecticut was a lovely drive down winding roads through the green mountains of Vermont and into Massachusetts. I enjoyed the “Moose Crossing” and “Bear Crossing” signs on the Interstate although I did not see any wildlife myself. I pulled into a small Massachusetts town for lunch and picked a funky diner with a jam-packed parking lot, figuring it must be the local favorite. I sat at the counter with a great view into the kitchen of Denny’s Pantry and watched with wonder two of the fastest moving guys I’ve seen cooking up a storm of late Sunday breakfasts and lunches. I had a cup of the requisite New England clam chowder and a scallop roll (yum!).


As I pulled into my hotel parking lot in Wallingford, CT there were my concert buddies just unloading their cars! Later we were joined by Tammy and Kelsey as well and all 8 of us had a fun dinner together (tonight 3 of us decided on Lobster Rolls (gotta eat that East-coast seafood while you can!!)). We had a great time and timed it perfectly for heading out to the show. Thanks to Tammy and Kelsey for letting me tag along in their backseat! 


The Oakdale Theatre is a wonderful place for a concert - probably not a bad seat in the house. I had heard from those who had been there before that it tended to be a relatively “strict” venue at far as security goes, keeping the fans near their seats and the aisles and stage areas clear. They did so during Chris Allen’s set but began to have a problem during the break before Keith came on. As soon as they would shoo away the gathering crowd at stage edge, the fans would return as soon as security turned their backs. And when Keith and the guys came out and began to sing Kiss a Girl, Security was there again, asking the stage-edge standers to return to their seats. But apparently that was not was Keith wanted! While continuing to play and sing he went over one of the guards who had his back to him and set his foot on his shoulder to catch his attention and then gave a “Leave them alone” gesture with his body and guitar. The stage-rushers were thrilled of course and the aisles and front were pretty much a free for all the rest of the night. I did feel sorry for some of the front row seat holders (some disabled) who could not stand or who hardly had room to stand by the seat they purchased. I know that I had some trouble holding my place at my aisle seat because the aisle-crowd kept pushing forwards and sideways. So there are definite pros and cons of allowing fans to do what they want - some of them have no consideration for others and only want to push as close as they can. Good thing that Keith’s performance

is so fast-passed and amazing that one has no time to be mad or argue with the shovers!


Stupid Boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBq9Gn8GO2o
Stupid Boy Solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMl6OQibBGU



Keith greeted the audience saying ti was nice to be back in Wallingford - that it had been about 5 years since they last played there. He either noticed a sign or picked up on a guy’s comments from somewhere up front,because Keith queried this fellow “She loves me?? I bet she loves you more!” One gals was lucky enough to get Keith to lean down and give her a hug with a sign saying something like “I’m home in bed and can’t give my mommy a hug. Will you hug her for me?” : ) After Keith focused attention on each section of the theatre he noted “Oh - there are people in the boxes! Good evening my lords! Thank you for letting us play for you my lords!” - hamming it up with a deep bow to the elites in the box seats : ) .


A little Sweet Thing Scatting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V192ZVMsbb4


After Sweet Thing Keith lead us in a few rounds of sing-along, with a series of ooo-nah-nah-nah-nahs followed by “I’m just makin’ it up as I go along” and a very exaggerated “I don’t have a CLUE what I’m gonna sing now!” before he lead us in the alphabet. With each bit of nonsense that the audience parroted back to him Keith grew more delighted until, after they repreated the alphabet, Keith exclaimed “I love you so much you guys!”


I thought perhaps Kris Allen might play some prank or do something special on his last night out on tour with Keith. But he didn’t , perhaps because he’s not as well established as Taylor Swift. He and Keith once again collaborated on a Meelencamp song that suits them well.


Keith and Kris Allen - Jack and Diane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llIReUNubJI


I  was sitting in the third row aisle seat of the left side of the center section. I had noticed with interest, from the time I first sat down, that directly in front of me a stairway of sorts had been improvised by setting equipment boxes at the end of the stage. I was pretty sure Keith would be coming right down those boxes to me later in the show. Yes he did!! and I got my “Vitamin K” for the evening with a little squeeze of his arm. But what surprised everyone even more was his second journey off the opposite end of the stage after he returned up front the first time! He made a lot of people happy!!


A bit of You Look Good in My Shirt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paFY2YiuHOU


As in Vermont, Keith brought out his good Aussie friend Troy Cassar-Daley to sing a song (People Get Ready). Keith stayed in the background, playing his guitar, until the end, when he (and Jerry and Brian) joined Troy for an exuberant closing. 


You’ll Think of Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbRCF_DpD8k


Better Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9yWxT5hXnc


There was thunderous applause and cheering for what seemed like a long time. Keith came out and graciously thanked the audience. Before he began to play again he said “This has been a fun, fun year for us - thank you so much! I don’t know where this song came fo me the other day, but this really sums up how I feel about you guys” and began to play the following:


I Only Want to Be With You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlJPk-yROQY


The very last song was Somebody Like You, with a few little variations in the guitar runs from usual. Also, at the point where he sang “ Don’t want to take this life for granted like I used to do” Keith looked at and gestured to some one in the first row or so and said “Ain’t that right Al?” to this person. Al? I wonder who Al is. (see the following)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0crU26dvOY


All too soon we had the final “day-o” sing-along and the great jumping, circling SLY ending. Keith did his water spray surprise from last tour and slapped many hands, signed a number of autographs and “signed” his final thanks and goodbyes. There were nearly brawls by me over the drumsticks and wristband tossed and other fans pleaded at stage edge for the set-lists taped to the floor. When will we next have a new setlist to fight over? Thanks so much Keith, Brian, Jerry and Chris for a great summer tour! We’ll miss you!


You had to go I understand
But you promised you'd be back again
And so I wander around this town
'Til the new tour comes around


No comments:

Post a Comment