Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Blue About the Blue Man Group


     Tonight I was supposed to see a show by the Blue Man Group, who are scheduled for 3 sold-out shows at my university. Sadly tonight's show is a no-go. Apparently a sprinkler pipe broke over the stage, flooding the stage and orchestra pit before the front-section-ponchos-required Blue Man Group ever got a chance to create their unique show.  Although they hope the Wednesday and Thursday shows will happen as planned, I kind of doubt that they will be able to re-schedule tonight's performance considering how heavily booked those indigo guys are.
I have seen the Blue Man Group perform before. I remember well my first experience. I was attending a conference in Chicago and decided to look for some evening entertainment. I had heard the name "Blue Man Group" and had seen photos, but knew nothing more about them. What the heck, I thought - they seem to be popular. So I got a single ticket from my hotel concierge and headed off to the small theatre where they were in residence at the time. Given my last minute purchase I was surprised to discover my single seat was in the front row!! And I was doubly, no triply surprised when the usher handed me a plastic poncho with a hood as he seated me!! What the hey??!! But I put it on - forewarned is forearmed.
I thoroughly enjoyed the humorous, musical, percussive performance, constantly surprising and delighting the audience. And I was happy to have the ponchos when, during the antics of one of their they're-not-expecting-this routines. mashed bananas (or what looked and smelled like mashed bananas) came shooting out one Blue Man's chest (as I recall) onto the several front rows  of the audience! They love to shock us, then look out at the audience in wide-eyed innocence.
Tonight I would not have had to wear a poncho. I actually won the tickets (yay) but they were in the upper balcony, safe from any banana spray, foam, water, or (another of the Blue Man strategies) audience participation.  Too bad, because in this case the Blues can really brighten your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment