Thursday, June 16, 2011

Keith Urban's Get Closer Tour Starts Today!


The long wait is finally over! Today is the start of the U.S. leg of Keith Urban's Get Closer Tour and I am so stoked for the opening weekend.

I headed south yesterday. My first little flight from Iowa was uneventful, although I did sit by a gal with purple eyebrows and a small red accordian. Made me think that might be a good title for author Larsson's next book (The Girl Who Played the Red Accordian...). When I was boarding my longer connecting flight to New Orleans the gate agent surprised me with an upgrade to first class! Still no meal, but at least I had a comfy seat : ) I picked up a sporty red rental car and headed straight to a hole in the wall seafood dive called Harbor Seafood not even a mile from the airport that had been recommended. It was overflowing with locals with big platters of crawfish, crabs, oysters, shrimp, and fish sandwichs. Everything looked great but I decided on crawfish which arrived bright red, steaming hot, and spicily fragrant. I worked my way through the basket (and there is a bit of work to coaxing their plump bodies out of the tight shells) and they were SO good that I had to get a second pound. I had that rosy glow feeling from sucking their spicy juices. Cooled off with a dozen oysters on the half shell and I was good to go. Good thing I had planned on dinner there because the drive to Biloxi took longer than expected. But it is always interesting exploring new territory (I have been to New Orleans and in fact honeymooned there, but had never traveled east out of the city.) Had some great ocean views, impressive bridges and a golden full moon that seemed to fill the sky.

A "Welcome to Mississippi" sign let me know I had left Louisiana. I have not been in MS for many years - not since I represented Iowa in the National Chicken Cooking Contest (really!) in Jackson, MS when I was a sweet young thing. Imagine the Mississippi Coliseum stadium with 50 full kitchens set up on the stadium floor, with the winning cooks from each state marching in to the strains of Dixie, and then the "ringmaster" drawling out a thrilling "Ladies and gentlemen you may now start cooking!" It was quite the experience! (and I won second prize!!! $4000!!)

When I climbed out of my rental car in Biloxi the humidity almost knocked me back in my seat!
Whoa! Hot hot hot and Mr. Urban isn't going to help matters!

This morning I went over to explore the arena area. I only saw 1 brown tour bus in the fenced lot and suspect that perhaps there might be underground or sheltered parking to get them out of the sun. The arena is currently surrounded by fairgrounds, ferris wheels and other rides for this week's "Summer Fair."
A Monkey had said that she heard that the special holiday presale tickets could not be picked up until after 5:00, but what the heck - I thought I'd give it a try. I've been dying to know my seat location (unspecified in the presale). It took a while to find the right entrance, but meanwhile I was treated to the sounds of Jake Owens rehearsing a couple of his songs not far away (I must have been at the stage end of the arena). When I finally found the box office they did indeed have the special presale tickets and mine was 6th row center! Hurray for the presale! It is going to be a VERY good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment