Saturday, July 23, 2011

One Killer Keith Urban Concert in Columbus!





I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later - through travel snafus I all but missed the start of the Columbus concert. Only with some speeding on the highways, quick, panicked parking, and hustling the remaining blocks did I make it to the Nationwide Arena just minutes before Jake Owen came on. Much as I love Chicago, my city of birth, I hate flying through Chicago for just this reason (although lately it seems almost every one of my trips had included late flights). I did make it in the nick of time but I missed out on a planned dinner with concert buddies! : (


Tonight I was in row D which, in Columbus and several other arenas, was a super-long row spanning the entire width of the arena without aisles - a row geared to slow down or block those approaching the stage from the rear. I had a very good view much of the time but several very tall males were in front of me once the floor crowd gathered, so my apologies for the occasional heads in my videos. Here is Only You Can Love Me This Way.


Jake makes many fans happy with his constant interaction - grasping hands, waving or pointing and smiling at particular individuals, coming down off the stage a few times each show. He really made one gal’s night by leading her up onto the stage and then holding her hand and singing a verse of Don’t Think I Can’t Love You, complete with going down on his knees while he sang the last couple lines. He borrowed a sip of beer

from another happy fan. He also told the Columbus audience that, although up to now the Boston crowd had been the very best, now Columbus had taken their place as his favorite.


I guess tonight was just my night for “missing things”. Jake threw a pick right at me - it hit my palm but bounced away before I could grab it. Then Jerry threw me his wristband at show’s end and once again it hit my palm but got away before I could grab it. I must have slow reflexes!! Good thing I don’t have to rely on my reflexes most of the time to catch all the musical memories they throw my way each show!


I Told You So was deleted from the setlist! I was very hopeful that that meant we might get Raining on Sunday or some other special addition, but no - that was not the case. Maybe they have just been running a bit long with the extended Kiss a Girl antics.... Here is sweet Without You.


Keith was wearing different jeans tonight - ones with a weathered look - a few ‘paint splotches’ or white spots, a few tears. Of course it doesn’t matter what kind of jeans he wears - they always look mmm-mmm good : )


I didn't have a good view of the right platform during You're Gonna Fly, but I was close to Brian Nutter on the left platform.


I was sitting just in front of the person responsible, this show, for the traveling Monkeyville sign that is making its way to every US venue (not sure if they’ve found a way to get it to the Canadian shows). I will be taking on that task in Cincinnati, but I had my photo taken with the sign in Columbus since it was convenient.


I do enjoy seeing others’ positive reactions during the show - especially the KU newbies - but I have to admit that sometimes the drunken ones get a little wearing. One very happy (because of Keith but also because of booze) gal in front of me repeatedly, throughout the night, would turn to me and in a loud voice (while Keith was singing) would say “Oh he’s so pretty!!” I concurred : ) but didn’t always appreciate the distraction! I also feel a little guilty that I am almost happy when they fall off the chairs they have been standing on. Shame on me!


For the Kiss a Girl sing-off, as usual, the first contestant was not local, but rather from West Virginia. The next - a male was - quite proudly - from Columbus. but unfortunately only knew the first and last lines of the chorus (I wanna kiss a girl) and just held out the microphone to the singing audience the rest of the time. When he returned the mike to Keith, Keith had to say “ What the hell was that??” before he went on to #3, a Ohio girl wearing a huge pink hat edged with pink feathers. (Sorry I had such a hard time catching a shot around Keith's cameraman!)


Tonight Keith went way back to the rear curve of the risers and way up in the stands for You Look Good in My Shirt. He is brave to “go the distance” near the end of the show when the audience has been thoroughly whipped into a frenzy and is totally loving him (and wanting a piece of him!). His early trip on the floor, back to the small stage, is such a surprise and shock to most that Keith doesn’t seem to get quite as man-handled. But by the time of YLGIMS it sometimes seems that it is “No holds barred!” (literally!)


I love how, even at the end of a very strenuous, hot show, Keith is still showing his joy at performing - laying on his back on the stage with the biggest grin imaginable, alternately kicking his legs up in the air or using them to spin his body in a circle, while continuing to rip away at his guitar! The joy in that man and in his music is oh so infectious and lifts the hearts of every person in his audience.


No comments:

Post a Comment