Monday, August 19, 2013

Under a ROOF in Houston!





The ride from Austin to Houston was mostly pleasant, although I am not used to  very commercial roads like Bob White Road in Austin, with business driveways every 30 feet, having speed limits of 70 mph!  I did not enjoy the superhighway traffic once I got close to Houston itself. I made a late lunch stop at a Captain Benny's Seafood for the fresh gulf oysters I so love,then on to the very pretty, wooded community of The Woodlands north of Houston proper.

I checked into my hotel and had time for a little nap, but was very worried when, at about 5:00, it started to rain quite hard. Oh no - not again I thought! But the rain abated and happily this venue did have a nice tented roof over reserve seating. My seat was close to the stage but not as centrally located as the one I was supposed to enjoy Keith from in Austin. I was in front of the right hand speakers and security was nice enough to hand out packs of earplugs to any of us who wanted them. Unfortunately because I was off to the side, my audios are a bit unbalanced.

Here is Little Big Town's Where the Pavement Ends http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOASdkGpuc

Here is the opening instrumental: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTkpg-Md974  Love the way Keith moves (and also Jerry's entrance).

Once again, although I was close enough to have a good view during Stupid Boy, within seconds of the start of the guitar solo that stupid fog totally hid Keith - he might as well been playing backstage for all that we could see! Cut it out guys! We've had enough of "disappearing Keith"!! Let us watch the master!

Disappearing Keith



Here's Little Bit of Everything http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd5Ae5qQCFI

I noticed before Keith came out that the silvery curtain was missing, and sure enough - as he dove into Long Hot Summer the big reveal of the video wall did not occur. Apparently the Austin storm had taken its toll on Keith's equipment. The venue did have decent sized side screens, but they were no match for Keith's usual high def video screens. When it came time for him to chat with the audience he explained that they "were supposed to play in Austin last night (lots of boos from the crowd - must be some competition between the big cities) but a horrendous storm took out our behemoth video wall which would have been back there (gesturing to the back of the stage). " But we are going to play as if our life depended on it!"

Keith was in a goofy mood it seemed. He asked us "By a round of applause, who has seen us before, and (without pausing) who hasn't?" Of course everyone applauded. "That's good," said Keith - "That's just about everyone!"  "Call the babysitter 'cause we are going to me here awhile! (cheers!) "We have two shows worth in us!"

Although Keith didn't really read signs, he did interact with the audience. One gals shouted an "I love you" and Keith gave the usual "I love you too but I don't even know you," but then continued. "You husband is looking very perplexed." (pause) " No, now he is blowing kisses too. Lots of love in Houston!"

Someone then handed Keith a big bouquet of flowers. After thanking her Keith said "I feel like a ballet dancer!"

We did get an extra song following Without You: Keith surprised us with a rousing performance of For You. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MrEzbO6V8c  For the last few shows Little Big Town has been dedicating a song to the men and women serving our country (their song Self-Made) so amybe Keith decided it was time for him to do so as well.
And I found that I enjoyed "Even the Stars Fall For You" more without the video lyrics running behind Keith. Here is the portion of You Gonna Fly that Keith did down at my end of the stage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx_hEqt4r2U

When I entered the venue I noticed tonight's satellite stage was set quite high (maybe 9 feet in the air) so the audience won't be bodysurfing up to see Keith : )  Out on this stage Keith gave this audience another bonus in the midst of Once in a Lifetime - a few lines of Deep in the Heart of Texas!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALri4iuT_-k
He also followed that with the proclamation "Houston we have NO problems!" Tonight in OIAL he switched the lyrics to "Then the first ones born, and a sister comes along, and she's got your long legs."

 : )




We got a nice backbend after Who Wouldn't Wanna Be Me and Keith collapsed and played from flat on his back after Somebody Like You. The encore included a chorus of But For the Grace of God.
Keith slapped hands long after the other guys had left the stage. Tonight it was a very happy crowd leaving the venue.

I had a hard time finding late night dining in the Woodlands and finally ended up at Denny's for an uninspired snack. But it was kind of fun listening in on the conversation of a concert security person
sitting at the table next to me. He was going on and on about Keith going right out in the audience for these long walks with barely any security.





No comments:

Post a Comment