Sunday, March 6, 2011

Miranda Lambert and Friends at UNI in Iowa


Last week was a big week for Country Music on my campus - 2 country concerts within 3 days at a school where concerts are few and far between. The Band Perry and Thompson Square performed on Thursday night and Miranda Lambert appeared on Saturday!

Miranda's show was scheduled in our basketball arena, seating about 7000. I had purchased a floor seat in a presale and thought I would be sitting in the 11th row. But apparently I did not look at the seating chart properly, or the wrong chart was posted, because I was surprised to see a General Admission area in front of all the rows of seats. So I was actually sitting in what probably would have been about row 21 if the entire floor had been reserved seats. So, a little disappointed, I made my way to my middle of the row seat. I hoped the performers would make good use of the catwalk that was in place so that they would be a little closer to me.  I didn't know then that my seat location was not going to be my main disappointment later in the evening.

Miranda had two openers - Josh Kelley and Justin Moore. I wasn't really familiar with Josh but discovered he had quite a voice and was pretty cute. He sang us a couple song from his new soon-to-be-released album. I especially enjoyed his song about his recently adopted baby daughter Naleigh Moon -  a beautiful and very touching piece. Since I don't keep up with the gossip pages I didn't learn until later that Katherine Heigl was his partner and the mother with babe in arms that he sang sweetly of.

Justin Moore was up next. I had seen Justin play a couple times at last year's CMA Fest and at Country Concert in Ohio, so I was more familiar with his set. Besides his rowdier songs he has a heartfelt song that is a tribute to his grandfather and a great ballad called Outlaws Like Me.
It was a night for mentioning baby daughters. Justin, like Josh, recently became a proud father and shared what a change it had made in his life. To my shock he then appeared on the catwalk with his baby daughter in arms (with her big pink protective headphones on) and sang his entire hit "Small Town USA" holding her, walking from the catwalk to each end of the stage in turn!! I was amazed that she did not freak out in that context but she just gazed at Daddy's face (probably wondering why his lips were moving but she couldn't hear him - lol). Quite a cutie!

Justin includes the end of a rifle barrel as the double "O" in his last name  in his big "Justin Moore" stage backdrop. It also includes, off to one side, "NRA" in big letters. Miranda makes reference to shooting guns both in her songs and as she chats with the audience, and has a microphone stand fashioned out of a rifle. Do you think the NRA provides concert sponsorship just the way that the rum and beer companies do??

Then it was time for Miranda to come on stage! Seats that had been empty during the openers were suddenly filled and there was quite a buzz in the audience. Miranda grabbed the audience right away by starting out with Kerosene. Everyone was on the feet and singing! I sang along loudly but discovered something unfortunate. Now the rows were full and little movement was possible and the couple right in front of me was very tall. I usually don't begrudge the standers who are enjoying the show. But this couple seemed not to pay much attention to the show. They were more interested in standing up and making out. When they did I could not see between them and could not see around them!! So for most of Miranda's set I was stuck just listening, not able to see her, which had me fuming in my seat. Not able to see her or her band, I couldn't really enjoy when they rocked out. There were only a couple songs (when the couple ahead of me took a beer or bathroom break) when I was able to really enjoy Miranda. Happily at least one of these few times was during y favorite The House That Built Me
UNI really sang along sweetly - the stadium rang with our voices. I also saw a bit of Gunpowder and Lead, but overall I "missed" most of her set. : (

Miranda shared a cute picture of she, Blake and their dog during the show and flashed her ring at us while speaking happily about her engagement. She was a little appalled at the cold Iowa weather and said she hoped she'd be back during warm whether when she could enjoy Iowa a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment