Wednesday, October 12, 2011

And Off to the Arco Arena



After a quick breakfast in San Jose Jim and I were off to Sacramento, a pleasant drive. We were too early to check into our hotel, so headed downtown since Jim wanted to visit the state capitol. But first we had a nice lunch at a smaller PF Chang’s China Bistro right in the downtown area. I couldn’t finish my lunch so had them pack up the leftovers for a little post-Keith snacking.


Having been there a tour or two ago, I recalled that the Arco Arena (now called something like the Power Balance Arena) was out in suburbia not too close to anything, so Jimmy offered me drop-off and pick-up service again (what a guy!). We didn’t plan for the huge line of cars approaching from the freeway, but I made it to my seat just as the dimmed the lights for Jake’s entrance. Tonight I was on the floor maybe 9 rows in front of Keith’s microphone.


Jake tickled one fan by announcing during his set that he just had to go down and give a hug to the woman who was willing to come to the show in a birthday cake hat (now don’t you all go out hat shopping! : ). Here he is doing The One That Got Away http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhJcm8Z7x5g



Raining on Sunday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjYDvzc9Lpw

Making Memories http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrpBgZ0veDM

You’ll Think of Me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNPLieNak4s



Keith read a number of usual signs (We wanna get closer, its been a long hot summer without you, its my 14th birthday, Kristin loves Keith, I wanna sing with you, I wanna free quitar). My personal favorite that he read was “ I’m 64 = too old to look good in your shirt!” Keith responded “ Not tonight you aren’t!” He finally settled on one by a gal getting married next weekend: “One week until I do - Can I have a hug from you?” Keith said “Sure baby -its my last chance, right?’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ncz9tZ0hg He invited her down to the stage. She arrived wearing a little tiara-like crown and Keith asked if he was supposed to curtsy or something while pantomiming the same ( like when he would bow to the ‘royalty’ up in the arena boxes) and showed her how to do the royal hand wave. He asked when the wedding was (Sat) and whether we could all come. She replied that he, especially, was invited because one of his songs was “their” song. Keith asked which (Making Memories) and then asked about who she was at the show with and have a special wave to her mom and bridesmaids.


When Keith gave his usual sppech about every one cutting loose, forgetting their cares for a couple hours, singing, dancing, standing on the chairs - whatever you want, he then paused and looked at the crazy Sacramento audience and said “You all seem to have read the memo already!” he he


Kind of a wild and crazy Kiss a Girl Sing Off in Sacramento. First Keith got an uninvited tag along following the 2 girls he did pick. He was still intent on bringing up a fellow, so ended up with 4 on the stage. The second girl ended her song with I wanna kiss Keith and then wouldn’t return the mike. She contiued to dance around and then went down and began ‘interviewing’ the 3rd gal the way Keith would have.He did regain the microphone and was happy, I think, to have the gentleman (who sang “I wanna kiss my wife”) be the winner for the night, rather than one of the tipsy gals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDS4Qmin6nA

Keith went way, way back to the rear risers for You Look Good in My Shirt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE872jVpARU But if you watch that videoclip tell me if you think the audience there is a bit unusual. Most of them don’t seem to be looking at Keith! Maybe because they are hoping to see themselves on the big screen??

It was a great show and I think the Urban virgin next to me thoroughly enjoyed it. As I was leaving I got a text from hubby saying he was waiting at the curb outside but thought he was on the opposite side of the arena from where he had dropped me off. Well I tried to choose the door opposite from where I entered but no Jim . He texted that he was under th Power Balance Arena Sign but I think there is a sign on all sides. So I began circling the arena looking for my sweetie. He would periodically honk the car horn and ask (on the phone) “Can you hear me now/”. Rather comical.. I never did hear his honks, but he eventually saw me and just had to try to orient me to his positions among all the other cars..... “”i’m flashing my headlights on and off now - can you see me?” This arena, being out in the boonies a bit has one huge parking lot so imagine a lot of people lose their cars or their rides for a while!


PS I wondered if I should just sleep in my clothes and make up because we had the very earliest of flights and had to leave the hotel by 5 am. I never expected a crowd at the Sacramento airport at that hour but apparently everyone flies out of California early Monday mornings so they actually had security controlling access to the floor the security lines were on and the lines were about at long as a football field!! Holy cow!

No comments:

Post a Comment