Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Beginning of the End: Keith Urban in Milwaukee















The last weekend of the Get Closer tour - the excited anticipation of three nights of shows but, in the background, the dread of the quiet months ahead with no KU fix to look forward to!

I couldn’t miss class, so planned to leave for Milwaukee after my last class of the day. But I had failed to think about the fact that I would be passing through Madison and arriving in Milwaukee during the evening rush hour times - an oversight on my part. I made it through Madison but then encountered another delaying factor - rain which further slowed my progress and impeded my navigation on unfamiliar roads. The hours were ticking by and I was starting to prepare myself for missing some of Jake’s set. I found my somewhat seedy hotel and rushed in to ask how far it was to the Bradley Center. Too far to want to walk in the rain and I’m too slow a walker to make it in a hurry, so I had them call a cab. I ran to the box office to pick up my will call ticket and almost died when they asked for the letter from the fan club!! No one had asked at previous shows so I had stopped carrying them with me!! But the gal must have seen I was distraught, so just inspected my license to make sure everything matched the Christmas presale order. They dimmed the lights as I entered the arena but hallelujah I had made it by the skin of my teeth!

Jake featured a new (to me) song from his CD tonight: Tryin' to Set the World on Fire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckjSD7Vi_sM. Nowadays there is almost as thick a crowd surrounding the stage for Jake as there is later in the evening for Keith. Of course maybe some folks are just staking out their "Keith" spots early!

Unlike all the previous shows where Keith ‘recognized’ the local sports team, tonight he BEGAN the show in a Brewers shirt! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AETZZJFbgg Maybe it was because the Brewers were in fact playing an important game in Milwaukee as the show was taking place and he knew the Milwaukee fans might be particularly appreciative of his efforts. Keith later told the audience “ I wanna just get it out of the way: I know we’ve got the Brewers playing a serious game tonight. So if you’re glancing down at your phones to check the score, I won’t take offense - I get it. Let’s find out what the hell is going on now from a local - what’s the score?” And getting a response from someone up front Keith announced “Three to Two Brewers - right on!”

Jerry has added a beard since I last saw him in California!

Keith then read a bunch of signs including the usual assortment of Put me in a song, it’s my birthday, everybody needs somebody. One wished Keith a happy birthday, one was “Ten year fan” and another advertised her “Days Go By” license plate. My personal favorite was “Should have been me rather than Ellen!!” (lol) Keith even tried but couldn’t quite make out the message of a sign in the highest risers. He was a bit baffled by one sign reading “ I got a Monkeyville tattoo” and said “Thank you.... I guess.” hee hee. He finally settled on “Keith can I please have your autograph?” and invited the gal up on stage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssyD-z3XYcQ He teased her a bit when she dashed up “Terrified of the stage,huh?” and signed her poster, telling the audience “Talk among yourselves, I’ll give you a topic: What is the meaning of life? Discuss.” (Mike Myers style).

Along with his usual welcoming activities Keith also teased us with a mention that we may have a visit from a special guest later on. Who might it be??

Since I was just 1 person away from the aisle, I decided to make the trip back to the small stage. Of course by this point in the tour Keith’s trip back is common knowledge so even though I headed back a bit early there was already a crowd 4-5 rows deep around the stage. I stayed anyway and it paid off. First of all Keith’s big burly security guard decided that the best path to the small stage was right in front of me! As he waved me to step back to make room for Keith I had to fling my arms back to keep from losing my balance, then moved them forward again just in time to briefly encircle Keith’s waist, giving him a mini-hug on the run. I didn’t impede his progress - just felt his body slip through my arms : ) I think he was wearing a fresh dose of Phoenix and he smelled heavenly! The crowd behind me then pushed inwards to fill in the path that Keith and his guards had used. The surge of people actually pushed me forward to within 1 person-layer of the stage! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEeSQeJoWTE I had to apologize for being smashed into those in front of me, but it was just like a giant wave almost knocking me off my feet.


Stupid Boy solo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8sTsBq4RKc

Georgia Woods solo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5inRFmdZL8

Who Wouldn't Wanna Be Me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH70s7j6JRU


I had a great Christmas presale seat tonight but unfortunately had some heads and a camera man who kept blockign my view during the Kiss a Girl Sing-Off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbOJ2q8sWN8 Here is Keith singing with the two tied winners. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TndRoPC58OE


Finally it was time to learn who the night’s special guest was going to be. As soon as Keith mentioned he had been playing the heck out of this guy’s new CD, I knew it must be Eric Church. Eric came out in his cap and he and Keith played “Springsteen”, a selection from that CD. I always enjoy seeing a new performance of Keith and his guests so it was fun to watch them together and to watch Keith step back to allow Eric to shine. But I have to say that Eric’s voice is, to me, one that takes some getting used to. It reminds me a bit of Neil Young’s voice. Here are Keith and Eric - in a 2 part video, unfortunately, because I accidentally stopped recording in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgTt2t-Oi14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYghbNm7WOk

Here are some little but yummy tidbits


No comments:

Post a Comment