Monday, May 7, 2012

Ingrid Michaelson in Madison

Months ago I had planned a roadtrip with my youngest daughter to see one of her favorite performers Ingrid Michaelson. I also enjoy Ingrid's songs and often include them in my before-class music. Ingrid was playing small venues after a bit of a hiatus from touring and her fans were snapping up tickets fast. The nearest venue (Twin Cities) was already sold out when I received the email announcing the tour, so I quickly purchased 2 tickets for the next closest: Madision, WI.  Annie and I marked our calendars for the April date and I reserved us a hotel within walking distance.

Well I know only too well how hectic things get towards the end of the school year, so wasn't entirely surprised when Annie told me she was a bit overwhelmed with all she had to do and didn't feel like she could take the time to go to Madison : (  . My hotel was non-refundable, though, so I asked hubby if he felt like a roadtrip to Madison and happily he said yes, as long as I didn't make him go to the concert (typical!). But I was pleased to have company for the trip.

It was a lovely weekend for a drive east to Madison and the Wisconsin portion of the drive was quite scenic (sorry Iowa). We stopped in Dubuque and had a great lunch at Crust, then continued on to Madison. To my surprise, my hotel turned out to be right on the downtown square and our room had a great view of the domed capitol and its lovely surrounding tulip beds in full bloom. We wandered around the square and then stopped for a drink before my show, watching the growing line of fans at the concert hall across the street waiting for the doors to open. I had a general admission seat in the balcony and, despite the line, scored a seat in the first row in the small ornate theatre.

An interesting group called Pearl and the Beard opened the show. They were unique, talented, funny and entertaining but otherwise hard to characterize. Here are a few of their songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z76jlXjRndY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y79N-UhF8o8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LlbuXpITGg

I enjoyed Ingrid's set but was not as familiar with her new album as I would have liked to be. Also, as is the case with most performers, she didn't include some of my favorites ( and even chatted a bit about how playing the 'old favorites' becomes a bit of a burden to the artists excited by their new material).
Take Me the Way I Am
Soldier
Ghost
Blood Brothers
The Chain
You and I
Ingrid Joking About the Power of an Upbeat Melody

Jim found us a cute and very yuppy breakfast spot just off the capitol square. We lucked out and just barely beat the crowd - by the time we finished eating there was a line outside on the sidewalk.

Jim was waiting out front when I exited the Overture Center and we had a late supper at a fast-food Greek spot down the block: gyros, Greek salad and baklava - yum! So my roadtrip was fun even if I did miss out on some mother-daughter bonding.



No comments:

Post a Comment