Thursday, May 10, 2012

Two Blasts From the Past




I love the music from the sixties! All those tunes that I listened to constantly on my local Chicago station WLS, even sneaking my little transistor radio and earphones into my bed when my mom wasn't looking. This spring I got to re-visit many of those tunes when my campus performing arts center included not one, but two great sixties reviews in their season's offerings. About three weeks ago "The Midtown Men" performed. These are the stars from the original Broadway case of Jersey Boys - now on tour singing some of the Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons songs from that play as well as many other pop hits from that era. I sang along with almost every lyric and had a great time. 


Then this weekend the Beatles review group called Twist and Shout came to campus, performing (with the appropriate British accents and Beatles haircuts) selections from almost all of the Beatles albums, with some fun video footage of the early 'British invasion". Again it was a show that you couldn't help but sing along with - one which sparked many fond memories of my Beatles fan days. I wonder what ever happened to my Beatles scrapbook and my ticket stub from seeing them in Chicago back in 7th grade? I wonder if today's young people will have the same fondness for the music of their tweens? Or will today's diverse, rapid overload of music via a multitude of media channels mean that nothing will really stand out for them fifty years from now?

No comments:

Post a Comment