Saturday, June 12, 2010

Best Song of the Second Night of CMA Music Fest: Keith Urban's "With A Little Help From My Friends"





My first full day at CMA Music Fest - I tried to sample performances from several of the venues (there are far more things going on than any one person could do). Since I am not one to wait in long lines, I avoided the autograph signing at the convention center and instead listened to a nice set by James Wesley on the Bridgestone plaza. I was lucky enough to find one of the few chairs in a bit of shade. Then I went down to the Riverfront Stage, inching down the hazardous steep grassy slope (they really need some stairs!!) and found a tiny patch of grass in the crowded viewing area to watch Patty Loveless perform. She was very good but boy that sun was really beating down on my fair scandanavian skin, with nary a breeze to be found. That, plus the fact that I am no longer comfortable sitting long on the grass without something to lean on, made me head back up the slopes in search of a cooler spot. It was 1:00 so I stopped in a cool brewery for a Pineapple Mojito and a Cobb Salad. Refreshed I headed back to the Bridgestone, but it was between acts so I went inside to the Durango Acoustic Stage and watched several good bluegrass groups waiting for Daryl Worley’s timeslot. But the program must have changed because Daryl never showed. Still recovering from the evening before I decided a short nap was in order before it was time to head out to LP Field.

    When the Fest week began some additional tickets were put on sale. I scored a ticket in the 4th row riser section 137 - the section closest to the stage so was hoping for a good view of Keith, especially if he came out to the ends of the stage as he likes to do. Unfortunately my good view was not really there because a big camera boom was between me and the usual microphone position. So once again I spent most of the time looking at the video screen (at an unfortunate angle, but what can you do!).

    After the presenting of the colors and then the national anthem by the Band Perry, Julianne Hough was first up. I’m afraid I was unimpressed. Although she is beautiful, her songs didn’t do much for me and she incorporated a bit too many moves that you might see at an “exotic dance” club (but without a pole). But I’m sure the males in the audience probably enjoyed her short set.

    Next was Josh Turner. I love his voice and he is a cutie - so he was easy to look at and listen to. But other than that he doesn’t move around much or exude much personality on stage. But then maybe I was just anxious for Keith’s turn to arrive! The crowd did get into Josh’s “Why Don’t We Just Dance” and also “long Black Train” during which long strings of fans created human “trains” which wove their way all around the main floor.

     Finally it was Keith time!! I had tried to keep an eye on the stage stairway not far from me, but did not see him arrive. He wore one his dark plaid shirts and looked happy to be there and oh so sexy : ) . He opened with Kiss a Girl and had great audience participation. With a shout of “Nashville!!” and “Are we feeling good?” he went immediately into Days Go By, again with great participation. During Days Go By the stadium released about 4 dozen beach balls which were bopped around the floor section, looking like popcorn popping up and falling down. Keith took a minute to check in with each area of the stadium - top, back, sides, floor, punctuated with some of those lovely chuckles. Then he asked us to sing along with the next song (Sweet Thing) if we knew it. Did we!!

   Keith gave his thanks to all those who traveled a long way, including those who sat way up high who “had to travel a long way to get to their seats.” lol.  He added “As you can see, Nashville is alive and well and open for business.” He introduced the band members and then returned an “I love you” to a male fan who had shouted “I love you Keith”, but then Keith added “which is weird because you’re a dude, but what the heck.” He alerted us that his wife was there on stage with them (not visible to me) and dedicated the next song to her - I’m In.

    Somebody Like You was preceded with a “Do you feel like singing Nashville??” Nashville did and again he had resounding participation by the audience. He seemed just a little hoarse - maybe he came home with a bit of a Boston cold. He did his Dey-O, Dey-ey-ey-O bit with the audience before the jump and circle ending of SLY. He complimented the audience, saying “I’ve got to tell you - you guys sound unbelievable tonight! And it is such a beautiful night to be out. No rain, thank God.” (and less heat - a thank God from me and many others!)

Then Keith let us know that they were going to do something a little special for their last song of the evening. He brought out his supporting keyboardist (“legendary and immortal” Tony Brown), a horn section, and his “little sisters” (Sara Buxton and the Little Big Town gals) (the same supporting performers as he had on Jimmy Fallon I think). He said they wanted to take this moment to thank not just all the organizations who helped respond to the Nashville flood, but every last person who helped -  strangers, family, friends.”When it comes to disasters- natural and un-natural (a little dig at the Gulf situation) we so need “A Little Help From Our Friends”” and went into Joe Cocker’s great song. They did a terrific, moving, chill-giving version and I think Keith squeezed in a little extra commentary that was not in the original lyrics, but he sang so much so fast in that section that I have to go back and try to catch every word. During the cheering and applause following this number I shouted out a big “More!!!” because I so wanted to hear more than these few songs. And low and behold - outcomes the announcer saying - “That was SO good that we are going to do it one more time!!”

(they needed another take for the CMA special but that was just fine with the audience!!)

(I wonder how Keith feels about re-doing particularly dramatic emotional numbers like this?) Keith came out an said apologetically “Its a television thing and we love you so much for letting us do it again.” As if we wouldn’t beg them to do it again and again!!

     Upon the end of the second take Keith shouted “You are the best!! I love you all - thank you so much” to the audience. The band came out for their arm-in-arm bow - especially nice in this context where the bands are generally forgotten and even most performers simply give a wave goodbye. So, even with the re-take of the last song, Keith was on stage 44 minutes. Sweet minutes but I wanted to again shout “More!”

    There was a bit of a delay before Reba came on and they scrambled a bit to fill the gap with the winners a the “Win a guitar contest”. Reba later apologized and said there had been technical difficulties. She sang Strange, Consider Me Gone, her new Keep on Lovin’ You, and Fancy (and part 2) - and then said thank you and good bye! I was surprised at such a short set - I guess I don’t understand the ins and outs of the scheduling of these events. 

Kid Rock would close the show but I (and quite a few others) opted for the early buses back downtown to avoid the crowd and traffic later. I had seen enough of Kid on the CMT Awards and it was already midnight when Reba said good night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment