Monday, June 21, 2010

Keith Urban, Dixie Chicks and the Eagles in Chicago!




I had looked forward to the Chicago Keith Urban-Dixie Chicks-Eagles concert with eager anticipation for several reasons. I was thrilled that Keith was playing in my old hometown and anxious to re-experience some of my Eagle favorites. Add to that the opportunity to lure all three of my daughters to Chicago for a concert weekend adventure. And top it off with the chance to introduce 4 “Urban-virgins” (one sister-in-law and 3 nieces) to the wonders of Keith performing live.

We were a bit worried as we drove towards Chicago on Friday since extreme storms in the area were bringing down tree branches and causing power outages. We were willing to put up with bad driving conditions, but I knew that lightening packed rainstorms were one of the few things that could shutdown an outdoor concert, and prayed that Saturday would bring clear skies. Happily Saturday dawned with blue skies and just little cottonball bits of clouds with an expected high of 87.

My sister-in-law Pat took us to a great little Italian place (Cafe Bionda) not too far from Soldier Field for a late lunch before we headed to the stadium. Everyone ordered something different and all 10 dishes were great - I’m not going to wait for another concert to visit Cafe Bionda again!!

I thought I had done well scoring Row 23 floor seats in this gigantic venue, but I should know by now that is still pretty far back - too far to really see the performers very well. What seems like “near” was just too far so thank goodness for video screens. Well, maybe Keith would come down my aisle later......

Mr. Urban emerged at 6:00 pm sharp in a deep rosy-red plaid shirt, medium blue jeans and high spirits, hair longish, unstyled, golden and blowing in the wind very much like a half dozen years ago. Kiss a Girl kicked off his set, then Days Go By, with great singing by the audience. I was excited that, despite his limited time on stage this evening, Keith did make a trip down to the far end of the stage - MY end of the stage - for this song - my tiny bit of relatively close time during the show. (Unfortunately this was also the sunny side of the stage so the rest of my videos all night were pretty glary and washed out and others caught much better shots than I. )

And then a song I have been missing - Stupid Boy with that wonderful guitar solo echoing through that massive stadium - - goosebump-giving moments!

Keith then came out with his “How are we doing Chicago? It’s nice to be back!” He greeted each area of the audience in turn and said “We’re thrilled to be a part of the show today and want to thank the Eagles for being so cool and letting us come out and play some songs with them.”  Then he said if we knew the words we should sing along as they went on to Sweet Thing (thanks to crazy4keithurban)and then I’m In. Keith complimented the audience participation with a“Yee - haw!! Good God Almighty you sound good out there!!” 

He briefly introduced Til Summer Comes Around with a “This is a song about - well its about now actually” (since summer is finally coming around I guess). This song just sounded fantastic resounding in that big Soldier Field.

I liked that they mixed up the set and weren’t afraid to do a couple acoustic numbers in the stadium environment. Before Only You Can Love Me This Way  (thanks to crazy4keithurban) Keith wished all the fathers in the crowd a big happy Father’s Day and dedicated this song to all the lovers in the crowd tonight and all the married couples. He threw in a “And I’ll never feel the way I feel playing in Soldier Field Chicago today” at the appropriate moment. Then a stirringly emotional You’ll Think of Me - again with the stadium singing along and cheering at the very end. Here is crazy4keithurban’s video

Keith asked if the security guys were being nice to us and complained that “It looks a little orderly out there - I just want to make sure that you guys are able some serious fun, okay?” He introduced Brian and Jerry and each got to sing their little solo bits to the huge crowd. After Brian did “Open Arms” Keith joked “I was just about to get my lighter out!” (tee hee) Then Keith made a special request of the audience - that we all sing happy birthday to Nicole since her birthday was the next day. He was just a hoot doing this!! Here is CJ0267’s great clip of this.

As soon as I heard the opening riff of You Look Good in My Shirt I crossed my fingers that Keith might exit the stage on our side. But he went in the other direction : (

But that turned out well - my sister-in-law, although new to Keith Urban, jumped right into being an Urban fan and managed to high five Keith as he moved back in the stadium and followed him all the way back to the K area of the rear floor where he stopped to perform, and stood right behind him the whole time. Way to join the Urbanite Club Patti!! Of course Keith’s walk through the crowd was a huge success with the audience and even one of the beer-venders had to stop and catch it on video!!

Keith thrilled his Chicago audience by coming out in a Blackhawks shirt. He was a good sport and wore it in the heat for a while but eventually had to pull it back off to perform. Although I love Somebody Like You (thanks to crazy4keithurban) I was a little sorry to hear the opening banjo because I knew it signaled the likely end of Keith’s set. It was a great hour that went by all too quickly. All 4 of my “urban virgins” later reported that they thought Keith was the best performer of the entire evening : ) Similarly, the folks I was sitting next to - who had come “just to see the Dixie Chicks” were wowed by Keith. You can’t help but love him!


I was quite surprised when the Eagles opened with Seven Bridges Road! I loved the first hour as they performed their California-sound hits from the early seventies. You truly could “feel the love” (as Keith would say) as tens of thousands sang along to those classics. I’m not as thrilled with some of the late 70’s, early 80’s rockers featuring Joe Walsh, so their set started to feel a little too long to me later on. I was glad when they returned to their softer sounds for the encore (Desperado).

No comments:

Post a Comment