Wednesday, June 16, 2010

CMA Music Fest - Day 3



My third day in Nashville was again, as Alan Jackson said, “hotter than a hoochee-coochee”! I was already wearing my third and last pair of comfy sandals since hot sweating feet hiking up and down Nashville hills will raise blisters even when wearing your most broken in sandals! : (  So I decided that the short walk to the one major indoor venue - the Convention Center’s Durango Acoustic Stage - was in order for Saturday afternoon. Live music, up close, in air-conditioned comfort sounded good.

A local radio station (WSM 650) was broadcasting live from the Durango Stage. On Friday I had seen mostly bluegrass bands, while on Saturday I was treated to a more mixed lineup. The Bankester Family from Missouri - 6 of them - all playing different instruments and singing were a pleasant start, singing Carolina Rain, Better Get Right  or You’re Gonna Get Left, and Keep Your Hands on the Plough. Then classic country music lady Lynn Anderson did several songs including one of her many hits I Never Promised You a Rose Garden. She and her hubby Mentor also sang that classic song Drift Away (aka Give Me the Beat Boys) which I was surprised to learn he had composed. 

Next up was an up and coming relatively new artist Elizabeth Cook who was just a pistol and whom I thorughly enjoyed. Apparently her new album Welder is getting rave reviews. For your enjoyment I captured El Camino, When You Say Yes to Beer You Say No to Booty ; ) , and Sometimes It Takes Balls to Be a Woman - do take a listen!!

I needed to get up and move a bit so decided to wander down to the Exhibit Hall. I had not been down there earlier - I had heard of the long waiting in line that was necessary to get most autographs and knew my bum knee was not up to that. But I thought I should at least see what it was all about. Well, through fortuitous timing, just as I walked through the door I heard someone say “And here they are - Rascal Flatts!”

And just several feet away from me the threesome sang us Life Is a Highway!! Of course throngs of fans gathered and you couldn’t pick your angle - but I managed to catch two-thirds of the group ( and sometimes two and one-half of them lol) on tape.

Because of the hot weather I waited until just before showtime to go out to LP Field - no need to start sweating early! I did get the in time, however, for the daily flyover by the Thunderbolts following the national anthem. God I love the delayed roar of those impressive aircrafts!!

Randy Hauser - a big, burly biker-guy of a performer - has a big voice to match his physique and immediately revved up the crowd with his hard-tocking songs. He thanked the nearly full stadium for coming out early to see the opening act. 

Billy Currington kept the audience participating with his better known hits. He is a cute guy, but I must say I felt like he needed a shave and a trim this weekend (his kinky dark curls aren’t quite as endaring as Dierks’s used to be). But I did enjoy his ser, which of course included Must Be Doin’ Something Right and God is Great Beer in Good.

I’m a big fan of the Zac Brown Band. They, like so many of the CMA Fest performers, made a special point of taking time to thank the fans for their support - not just the thousands of fans at the Fest, but all the fans who have requested and bought their music and attended the shows. They even had a very special ‘thank you’ song called “This Song’s For You”  with Zac repreatedly pointing to the audience several times as they performed it. 

I have seen this band several times when they were opening for Keith Urban last year. Tonight they did something that was new to me - a quite long instrumental number. It definitely showcased the musical skills of the band members, but I, personally, am not sure the extended guitar solos suited this particular venue - especially this hot, sweaty venue. I sensed that the audience was getting a bit impatient for something familiar that they could sing along with. They certainly got it with the very moving “Free” which was nicely melded with Van Morrison’s Into the Mystic. That song really made their performance for me!!

Martina was up next and she started out strong with Cry Baby Cry and followed that with hit after hit. She was dressed in a rather somber black, silky dress. Although some funky boots lightened the look somewhat, I thought the dress a rather curious choice for the CMA Music Fest. Martina too spent quite a while thanking the fans of country music for allowing her to pursue her dreams and do what she loves - she was very sweet and touching.

It was after midnight and I chose to end the night on that note rather than staying to see Rascal Flatts. Although I like their music, I wasn’t impressed with their live show the last time I saw them. I’m also not a big fan of the chaos, traffic and long, long bus lines that occur when the stadium empties after the final act of the night - I prefer the several hundred peopje who depart a little early and can walk right onto the waiting buses which then pull out of the parking lot with ease.

No comments:

Post a Comment